Blockchain, Smart Contracts and tokenization - terms that currently everyone is talking about, but with which most companies have little experience. In the Blockchain Challenge, students work together closely with project partners from the corporate world and design innovative concepts based on the blockchain technology.
With the Challenge, the Center for Innovative Finance at the University of Basel overcomes the gap between theory and practice and thus offers a unique opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge in practical cases. The event creates a win-win situation where both students and project partners can benefit incredibly.
After an extremely successful launch in 2018, the Blockchain Challenge will now take place annually during the spring semester from March to June.
The seminar "Blockchain Challenge" will be held virtually via Zoom this year.
The Blockchain Challenge is a great opportunity to gain practical experience during your studies and to work on a larger project together with a company.
The student teams design a solution on the basis of a practice-oriented problem description. Accompanied by coaches and experts, they go through the most important steps in creating a concept including prototypes. This not only strengthens their teamwork, organisational and presentation skills, but also promotes time management and problem-solving competence. Furthermore, the Challenge offers a unique opportunity to network with renowned companies and experts as well as students who are interested in the topic.
- Development of a blockchain concept for a specific problem
- Creation of a visual mock-up and a technical prototype
- Writing a concept paper
- Presentation of your progress at interim presentations
- Final presentation at the gala event in front of a larger audience
- Practical application of the knowledge acquired in university lectures
- Practical experience with real problem descriptions of the project partners
- Valuable contacts into the corporate world
- 6 ECTS and Blockchain Certificate
- Award and cash prize for the best placed teams
- Students of all disciplines are welcome
- Short application via a form
- Various skills are required such as: Project management, presentation, design, marketing
- Motivation and interest in the topic
The Blockchain Challenge is a unique opportunity for companies to get in direct contact with students. The main task of the project partners is to present a blockchain problem description, which is then worked on by the students. As a project partner, you benefit directly from the knowledge of the students and receive a finished blockchain concept paper for your case at the end of the semester. The Blockchain Challenge also offers the opportunity to present yourself as an attractive employer at the university and to establish contact with interesting personalities in the blockchain area. Your support for the Challenge will be publicly communicated and advertised at the big gala event.
- Provision of a problem description based on the blockchain technology, which is then processed by the students
- Case Presentation at the Kick-off Event
- Sponsorship of the event with a one-time payment. This money will be used for the organisation and as prize money for the students
- Direct benefit from the know-how and knowledge of the students
- A blockchain concept paper for your own question
- Contact to interested students and an opportunity to present yourself as an attractive employer
- Invitation to the gala event with large networking apero
- Public communication of the sponsorship
Participants Blockchain Challenge 2021
Winning Teams Blockchain Challenge 2021
|1. Place||Team Burckhardt Law||Blockchain Technology and Last Wills|
Annika Kristina Hansen
Pirmin Can Özdemir
|2. Place||Team AXA||Smart Contract Insurance|
Thom van Rijn
|3. Place||Team TopPharm||Blockchain Loyality Programm|
Die Blockchain Challenge ist ein Musterbeispiel für Nachwuchs- und Innovationsförderung im engen Zusammenspiel zwischen Universität und Wirtschaft. Wir sind stolz, dabei sein zu können und beeindruckt von der Qualität des Erreichten.Matthias Röser, Partner at BearingPoint, Project Partner 2019
We at EY were honored to act as a projectpartner. Big thanks to Prof. Dr. Fabian Schär.EY, Project Partner 2018
Gewinnerteam der Blockchain Challenge der Universität Basel. War mir eine Freude, mit Euch eine Produktinnovation auf der Blockchain zu entwickeln und zu verifizieren.... Die Reise hat hoffentlich erst begonnen.....SBB, Project Partner 2018
What a great event through the past three months! Congrats to the winning team. Thanks for hosting the Blockchain Challenge at Center for Innovative FinanceMarkant, Project Partner 2018
Project Partners 2022
Previous Project Partners
Previous Cases processed
- WWZ goes Davos! Studierende der Universität Basel im Rampenlicht des CV Summit Davos 2020:
- Grosses Finale der Blockchain Challenge 2019
- Blockchain im Einsatz für mehr Transparenz
- Galaevent der Blockchain Challenge 2019: Acht Studierenden-Teams präsentieren ihre Business-Cases
Credit Suisse Scope
Handelskammer beider Basel
Crypto Valley Journal
Bitcoin News Schweiz
Center for Innovative Finance
Info-Screen Blockchain Challenge